Monday, April 20, 2009

Week 4a Fitness Wrap-Up

A little belated, but I'm going to go ahead and do both posts for week 4. Post 4a is going to have a story that I found humorous (and I believe found me humorous), and post 4b will give a wrap-up of my current situation, as well as how the weekend went.

Week 4a (Fat People)

The story will be completely true, but to protect the innocent and not-so-innocent, I'm going to replace real names with the names of various classic professional wrestling personalities. And for the purposes of this story, the part of Joe Mattingly will be played by Hacksaw Jim Duggan.

Our story starts with a fairly standard happenstance: someone posted something on Facebook. I have no problem with the original post, but the topic of the post was inevitably going to invite some questionable comments. The actual original post, by a friend of mine from school, "Miss Elizabeth":
  • "...United is making larger people buy two seats. So their employees are being paid to tell people they're fat, embarass [sic] the shit out of them, and make them pay extra for being ginormous...I'm torn between never flying United, or applying for a job."
As I said, I don't have a problem with this comment. There were a few follow-up comments by people I don't know, some talking about other airlines, others decrying United's policy (which actually I also don't have a problem with; I'm over 300 pounds and I've never been asked to buy another seat, so I imagine the policy is for people who simply can't fit into a single seat). Then, another former classmate of mine, "Marty Jannety," made this comment:
  • "its more f'd up for the person that pays the same price for their seat and has to deal with collateral bullshit (i.e. fat person next to them). F that. Good for United."
Somehow, Jannety decided to ignore the timbre of the original post (that it's an awkward situation to tell someone they're "too" fat) and talk about how sitting next to an overweight person affects himself. As I said, I've never been asked to buy another seat, so it's very possible that United's policy wouldn't protect him from my belly. In response to this, knowing that he'd at least get a message about it as we're "Facebook friends" (a distinction somewhere between complete stranger and co-worker), I changed my status to:

Hacksaw Jim Duggan loves being called "collateral bullshit."

I received a message from Jannety shortly after posting that status walking back his comments a little bit, and I generally accepted his half-apology. It didn't do me any good to hammer it down, and I do believe that he regretted his choice of words, just as the real Marty Jannety regretted trusting Shawn Michaels, a mistake we can all learn from.

Jannety's comment, however, was the second most bothersome comment on the original post. The number one comment was as follows, by the guy I will ironically call "Mr. Perfect":
  • "Haha is been like that for a long time, and not just United. I thought pretty much every airline charged for two seats if your fat. Haha unless they have somne thyroid or medical condition I have no sympathy for fat people. Fucking work out. Simple as that."
I've never met Mr. Perfect, and I've had no previous experience or any knowledge at all of what he's about. Anyways, I'll let you guys comment on that however you want; I feel like I don't need to ennumerate my sentiments. So, we'll fast forward to my response:
  • "Lizzie, your friend Mr. Perfect is an ass. I doubt he asks overweight people whether or not they have glandular or medical conditions before he judges them to be less-than. But to hopefully justify his obvious fear of fat people, you can let him know that, given the opportunity, I'll eat him."
Please note that my proper grammer, spelling, and punctuation help people to understand my comment the first time they read it. So yeah, screw that guy.

Week 4a weight: 317.8

No comments: