Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Music Hall of Fame: Keys To The Heart (Brian Auger's Oblivion Express)

"What the hell album is that?" That's probably your initial reaction, as well as your second, third, and fourth reactions to this induction. That's okay, most people haven't heard of the musicians or the album. The best description I can give for it is smooth jazz; it's generally light-hearted and agreeable, but still creative enough to be a worthwhile listen for the discerning ear.

I could go into a whole spiel about this album, but it's all already out there on the Internet, in the review I wrote for epinions a while back. So read that, and you'll understand all you need to know about this album.

One note: In my review, I declared the album to be a four star album. I stand by that rating, but I should point out that my opinion on ratings is less of a straight percent-based rating, and more of a bell curve. That is, 80-90% of albums will be 2, 3, or 4 stars. Only the sensationally good albums are 5 stars, and only the sensationally bad albums are 1 star. So, many albums that I might cite as being 4 star albums are still, in my opinion, hall of fame worthy. Just wanted to clarify that before opening things up to comments.

No comments: