Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Music Hall of Fame: Throwing Copper (Live)

Just to clarify, this album is by the band Live, it's not a live album.

When I was in high school, I didn't really know much about music. I heard songs and liked them, but rarely knew who the band was or what other songs they did. I knew Dave Matthews Band, Counting Crows, Toad the Wet Sprocket, Spin Doctors, and that was pretty much it. My cousin told me she liked Live, and I said, "Oh, I don't know them." Which was half-true; I didn't know who they were. But I would find out soon enough that I actually like several of their songs.

It happened while I was at the beach with said cousin. We were driving somewhere and a song came on the radio, and I said, "Turn it up, I love this song!" She said, "This is Live, the band you said you didn't know." It was Pain Lies On The Riverside, off of the Mental Jewelry album, immediately preceding Throwing Copper. I said, "Oh, maybe I do like them then. What are some other songs by them?"

She proceeded to hum four or five songs from Throwing Copper, and they were all songs I had heard and enjoyed: All Over You, Lightning Crashes, Selling the Drama, I Alone, and possibly White, Discussion. I say "possibly" not because I'm unsure of whether or not I like the song; it's in fact definitely my favorite among the five radio hits from the album. I say it because I'm not sure if she had suggested that song to me at that time; the others I'm fairly certain about.

So, armed with the knowledge that I already liked the album, I went out and bought Throwing Copper. It was beautiful. The album opens with The Dam at Otter Creek, which is anything but mainstream, but it ends up being a really "neat" song. Neat like cool, not neat like tidy. The radio hits are sprinkled throughout the album, but the other songs are often just as good. Iris and Top are both a little less radio-friendly, but a little more interesting. Another tune sort of like Otter Creek. is T.B.D., which may or may not be a playful title, like when Dave Matthews Band uses numbers (#41, #36, etc). Regardless of the meaning behind the title, the song is dark and foreboding, but also quiet and calm. I love it.

You might ask, "Who would like this album, Joe?" And my first inclination would be, "Anyone who likes rock," but then there's the example of Chip. Chip appears to like rock, but can't stand Live (or Van Halen, but that's another story). I would guess that you maybe have to enjoy some of the harder rock bands, like Alice In Chains, Megadeth, or Soundgarden. Not that I know for sure that Chip doesn't like those bands; he may love them. I'm just trying to do what I can to guide your music exploration.

Regardless of your tastes, if you haven't really heard any Live, I suggest you give them a whirl. I'll make you a mix tape!

1 comment:

Chip said...

You've officially made your first mistake with your HOF decisions. I do enjoy Alice in Chains though, Megadeth is ok, and I'm all about Soundgarden... even more so since I have been listening to Sirius Satellite Radio channel 24, the 90's Alternative station that plays a variety Soundgarden songs.

As we've discussed... Van Halen is one of those bands that I have a hard time getting behind. I enjoy a a couple of songs when Sammy Hagar took the lead, but always had a hard time getting behind David Lee Roth.

Back to Live... in middle school, I remember hearing I alone and at first really liking it. Maybe I was over exposed and listened to it too much or something, but after awhile, it just came across as a bunch of whining. Just my opinion.