Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Movie Hall of Fame: Braveheart

Braveheart was one of the least-anticipated movies among those I'd consider hall of fame worthy. The reason, of course, is that when I was 15 years old, I didn't really care for "epic" movies. I was more into...well, I don't know what I was into, I didn't really watch a lot of movies back then. But for as long as I can remember appreciating movies, I've thought Braveheart was a tremendous film.

I've met more than a few people who feel the same way as I do, but I've also met a few people who don't care for Braveheart, and while I think they're as wrong as you can be, I sort of understand it. Some people (such as those who don't like Braveheart) are weak-minded ne'er-do-wells, the dregs of society who can't appreciate a true cinematic masterpiece when it's staring them in the face. That's their cross to bear; mine is that I am compelled to berate them at every turn.

Seriously, how could you not like Braveheart? It's got one of the best villains of all time in King Edward the Longshanks, a great protagonist in William Wallace, and a perfect sidekick, Hamish, the red-haired bruiser. It's got a ton of memorable and quotable lines, some of the best action scenes of this era, and for the ladies, a pair of love interests, both of whom are romanced by Wallace in a sappy enough way that only the truest "chick flick" fan would be disappointed.

One thing I've found most interesting about this movie is looking for some of the actors in other films, specifically Brendan Gleeson, who plays Hamish. He was in the past two Harry Potter films (as Alastor "Mad-Eye" Moody) and Kingdom of Heaven (as the warmongering Reynald de Chatillon). Gleeson and Brian Cox (who plays William's uncle Argyle) were in Troy (among the siegers), and Cox was also in the first two Bourne movies, The Escapist, X-Men 2, and lent his voice to a pair of video games (Manhunt and Killzone). Cox was also in a bar/restaurant in Westminster, MD one time, and my brother's roommate talked to him. Angus Macfadyen, who played Robert the Bruce in Braveheart, appeared in Saw III & IV and episodes of Alias and ESPN's Tilt.

I don't know why it's interesting. I think maybe it's the whole "six degrees" thing. Plus, for whatever reason, I find some satisfaction out of recognizing voices and faces from movies/shows/video games. Familiarity is the key.

There was apparently a poorly-received Braveheart video game, but I never played it. You have to think that it's a franchise that someone will tap into again to make a new video game, and if they do it right, it could be really excellent.

But back to the movie, it's really one of the best movies of our time, and it will (and should) go down in movie history as one of the all-time greats. In that regard, it is unique among the current member movies of the House Housington Movie Hall of Fame. But don't worry, we'll get some other legitimate powerhouse movies to make Braveheart feel right at home.

No comments: