Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Music Hall of Fame: Dulcinea (Toad the Wet Sprocket)

Depending on how well you know me (and perhaps more importantly, how long you've known me), this album may be an intriguing surprise, or may produce a head-slapping "Of course!" As a high school student in the mid-90's, I tended to favor the adult contemporary stations over the alternative and hip-hop stations that most of my peers opted for. I was more of a VH-1 kid than an MTV kid. While that occasionally left me out of discussions concerning popular music, for me the better music was its own reward.

Among the bands featured on these stations (and one of the reasons I listened to them) was Toad the Wet Sprocket. I was introduced to the band by my uncle (RIP Uncle Paul), who over time has also introduced me to Better Than Ezra and the Dave Matthews Band, both of which I've enjoyed extensively. The album Dulcinea was arguably the band's most commonly appreciated, and in my opinion definitely their most complete and most impressive.

The opening song is Fly From Heaven, a tune which starts with the lyrics, "Paul is making me nervous," a point not lost on my uncle, and one he gladly reminded us of when the chance arose. The radio hits were Fall Down and Something's Always Wrong, but you could make the case that half of the album was radio-friendly and radio-worthy. One of my personal favorites is the dark Begin, which features echoes that call to mind a Pink Floyd styled ambience.

If you're wondering whether or not this album fits your taste, that's a fair question. I would say that if you like good music, it's probably right up your alley. And if you listen and find that you don't like the album, then I'd venture to say that you were simply mistaken, and you in fact do not like good music. Don't be embarrassed, it's a simple error that many people make on a daily basis. Now go listen to your O.A.R. trash.

God I hate O.A.R.

No comments: