Sunday, March 9, 2008

A New Hall of Fame

As I've mentioned to many people in the past, I think most Halls of Fame are innately flawed. The choices of inductees lend themselves heavily to emotional biases, since voters are all human, and we are naturally emotional creatures. It's not that this emotional characteristic of humans is bad; it just means that personal likes and dislikes are going to come into play when deciding who's worthy of induction.

And I'm not just talking about sports halls of fame here. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is in fact the most recent institution I've evaluated, and it seems like they induct pretty much anybody who's even mildly influential. You can look forward to future Hall of Fame members No Doubt, Barenaked Ladies, Korn, and Rob Thomas. Listen, I like some music by each of those artists, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. But the Hall of Fame should be less about likes and dislikes and popularity, and more about transcendence. Members of any hall of fame should be those that are clearly a cut above, those whose work makes most others in their category seem insignificant.

So, since I can't affect any changes in the way halls of fame choose their members, or take action to remove those I feel are unworthy, I'm starting my own: The House Housington Media Hall of Fame, with inductees in the categories of albums, movies, and video games. (I intentionally chose three categories without widely acknowledged halls of fame, because I don't necessarily want to kick dirt on the shoes of those who vote for, work for, or respect other halls; I just want to establish and share my own, correct opinion).

Inductees will be announced once a month on the following schedule:
  • Albums - 1st of each month
  • Movies - 10th of each month
  • Video Games - 20th of each month
As the more astute of you might have figured out, that means I've got my first announcement due Monday, March 10th, only a day away. That's correct, and I've got a dandy of a movie coming your way. Talk to you in 24.

No comments: